What is the meaning of transfer?
The meaning of word transfer is to move people or finances from one place to another. It is a common word used in the field of human resource which indicates the movement of employees from one job to another. The transfer generally took place in a later fashion moving employees within the same grade.
What is Job Transfer meaning & Its Definition?
Meaning of job transfer is the shift of job for employees; the change can be in terms of place of job, department of job or shift of job. The employees are replaced or moved lateral to serve the best for the organization.
Flippo has defined the term job transfer as ‘transfer refers to changes in job of a employee without changing the remuneration or the responsibilities of the employee’. This makes transfer different from the job promotion. As job promotion includes increase in remuneration, status, authority and responsibility it is very different than job transfer. In most of the organizations transfers are frequent whereas promotions are irregular in nature.
What is Employee transfer policy in HRM?
Employee Transfer in HRM
- It helps to improve the working experience of the employee as they get to work with different people and different environment.
- It makes the people skill better and prepares the employee for future promotions.
- It provides a new sense of motivation and satisfaction as transfer is often referred as growth oriented opportunity for the employees.
- It helps managers to ensure overall skill development of the employees by lateral movement of employees within the organization.
Lateral Transfer Definition
The lateral transfer is defined by Yoder et. al (1958), as a lateral shift of individuals from old position to new position by keeping the skills needed to perform duties, job responsibilities or compensation unchanged. The lateral transfer can be initiated by the organization or by the employee. It can be temporary based on the need of organization or it can be marked as a permanent transfer.
Types of employee transfer and its process and procedures in HRM
There are six types of transfer which can be implemented in the organization based on the purpose of the transfer. The reason behind the transfer helps to figure out the type of the employee transfer.
- Production Transfer
- Replacement Transfer
- Rotation Transfer
- Shift Transfer
- Remedial Transfer
- Penal Transfer
The procedure of the employee job transfer depends on who has requested or initiated the transfer process. Either manager/management or employee can initiate the transfer process. Here are two different employee transfer procedures followed in the organization.
Employee Job Transfer
Employee Initiated Job Transfer
Explain: Internal, External Transfer and Lateral
The internal, external and lateral transfer has few differences in terms of the location of job, other than that all these three transfers are parts of lateral movement of employees in the organization.
- Internal Transfer- Here the employee is transferred within the department or the branch of the company to a new position.
- External Transfer- When the employee is transferred from one department or one branch or one location of the organization to another it is termed as external transfer.
- Lateral Transfer- In the lateral transfer of the employee the grade and job of the employee remains same. However the employee gets opportunities to work with new coworkers and new environment.
What are the Reasons or purpose of Employee job transfer in HRM
The defined criteria set by the organization for the job transfer of the employees generally varies from individual to individual. However there are some primary reasons of the job transfer as given below-
Reasons of Employee Job transfer
- To fulfill the requirement of competency, distinctive skills and expertise of job position the employees are transferred to new positions.
- Due to shortage of employees in one particular department of the organization or high demand situation in the organization transfer of employees do occur to support the work flow.
- Sometimes to resolve the clashes between manager and subordinates or two workers the transfer of employees took place. Here it is ensure that the conflicted employees are not kept in one team.
- Routine work can be boring for some employees. To break the monotony and improve the productivity of the employee they are transferred to new job position.
- Many times due to some personal issues, health issues or other life priorities employee request the human resource department to transfer him/her to another work location.
- After marriage female employees often request a transfer to live with their spouses.
Companies design the transfer policy to make sure that employee job transfer took place in the organization in order to build up more skillful, satisfied and motivated work force. The purpose of the employee job transfer are listed below-
- To improve the effectiveness of company
- To increase the competence and versatility of the key position in the organization.
- To deal with changes in work requirement based on the change in market or technology.
- To maintain healthy employee relations.
- To correct the error in the initial placement of the employee.
- To provide relief from the job monotony
- For the adjustment of workforce in the organization in order to reduce the chances of lay-off.
- Sometimes to punish the employees for misuse of the authority or position.
Sample Transfer Policy
The sample transfer policy can vary from company to company. The working conditions of every organization are different which leads to unique transfer policy. The transfer policy mentioned here is a sample to understand the technical angle of the policy. It is important to verify the applicability of the transfer policy before its implementation in any company.
Sample Transfer Policy
Purpose- The purpose of the transfer policy is to provide opportunity to the employees to apply to the different open positions in the organization which they are suitable.
1. Employees can apply for the transfer due to following reasons
- Interest in open position available in another department/branch of organization
- To enhance the skills and competence
- To explore new work challenges at different work location
- Due to health issues or personal issues
2. Managers/Management can put the request of transfer due to following reasons
- Need of more competent employees in the team/department
- Sudden demand of more work force due to increase in work load
- To replace ill or frequently absent employee
- To introduce the team member to new work skills
- Decrease in requirement of work force
- To resolve the conflict among employees.
3. The approval or selection of employee for transfer is totally depending on the interview and skilled work performs by the employee.
Why Employee Referral is Preferred in the Organisation? Employee referral programme is one ... Read More
What is whistleblowing? Importance and benefits of whistle blowing policy in Business Whistleblowing is ver... Read More
How to identify and apply performance management to get the best output from it? Performance management is one of the... Read More
Kaplan and Norton 4 four perspectives of the balanced scorecard, Its Purpose & Benefits Balanced scorecard (BSC... Read More
Maternity Benefit act – A Bless or a Bleed A Brief case study: Prerna has been working in a multinational compa... Read More
Different Employee engagement process implemented in the companies Employee engagement process includes the job distr... Read More