Recruitment Policy Procedure in HRM with a Sample of Recruitment and Selection Policy for Example
Employees are an asset to an organisation; nothing can be achieved without human resource. Every organisation strives to intake best talent and this is possible with a robust recruitment policy.
Formulation and creation of recruitment policy driven by professional experts from outside or in-house HR department ,Often trial-and-error experience with applicants, Human resource personnels and candidates. Motive to implementation recruitment policies are effectiveness of evaluation standards to assess recruitment performance and review procedures.
What is recruitment policy in HRM?
Recruitment may be defined as the process of attracting right talent with right skills, right attitude and right experience. It is one of the very important and most discussed topic of human resource. Recruitment nowhere is used alone. It includes various terms with it, those terms are selection and induction. As per recruitment and selection policy the process of talent acquisition starts from recruitment and is processed further with selection and continues till induction. We can explain the term selection as well as induction. Selection is the process of choosing the best person for a given position. Recruitment is attraction and selection is to choose. Induction means introducing the person to position. In other words we can say success of the company is based on right recruitment to a very large extent as the process of recruitment is based on proper strategies.
An organisation to survive well must have a concise Recruitment and Selection Policy so that it can have the best talent from a pool of candidates. Having a robust recruitment policy is the first demand of an efficient hiring process. The company must follow the recruitment policy and procedure.
What all is needed to create a robust recruitment policy in HRM:
- Clarity on strategy to be employed for implementation of recruitment and Hiring policy.
- The recruitment policy must be non biased policy.
- Clear cut guidelines to be followed for recruitment, selection and induction i.e. Hiring Policy.
- All stakeholders must have defined responsibilities following recruitment policy and procedure.
- Stress should be on recruiting the right talent as mentioned under recruitment and selection policy.
- Entire recruitment selection and induction must be based purely on merit.
- Focus should also be on selection of candidates whose value aligns with that of organisation.
- Clear guideline on approval flow at the time of selection process.
- Proper alignment of manpower at the time of selection process.
- Clarity on recruitment of temporary employees, consultant etc.
- Clear job description.
- Clarity on terms and conditions of employment as per recruitment policy and procedure.
- To follow recruitment policy in a way that is being given as employment policy examples and recruitment policy examples.
Why organizations need to have Internal Hiring policy in place ?
To ensure hiring of right candidate following the right employment policy examples and recruitment policy examples.
- To have clarity on process and procedure to be followed to hire the most eligible candidate according to internal hiring policy.
- Proper match of job description with the business need.
- Fair selection of candidates following the principles of recruitment policy as explained in recruitment and selection policy sample below
.For proper utilisation of timings it is necessary to have a well defined recruitment and selection policy sample in place. The very first step to have an effective hiring is by having the right recruitment and Selection policy sample in place.
There are various factors that affect the recruitment policy of an organisation.
1. Organisation budget and financials
2. Recruitment policy of competitors.
3. Job market conditions.
4. Specific need of the organisation.
5. Government regulations.
6. Employment Policy of government.
Benefits of having a Recruitment and Selection Policy in HRM
1. Clarity on need of organisation.
2. Clarity on hiring policy process.
3. Right fit with the organisation culture.
4. Sound Hiring decisions.
5. Make best use of Employment policy.
6. Better productivity by following principles of recruitment policy.
7. Better culture. How? It has been answered in recruitment policy PDF
8. Right budgetary calculations.
9. Clarity on approach to be taken by all stakeholders.
Disclaimer:The content prepared has been created with greatest care.These policies have been prepared for sample.However for accuracy and completeness hrhelpboard.com cannot guarantee.The user is therefore requested to professionally and professionally checked the suitability of all content for its uses.
Employee Recruitment Policy of a Company - Sample 1
Objective of Recruitment Policy
The basic objective of a good Recruitment and Selection Policy is to make sure that right candidate is hired following the right process for hiring and selection.There must be async between the hired candidate and organisational values, philosophy and goals.
Scope: The Recruitment and Selection Policy applies to all employees who are involved in the hiring process. This policy also applies to all potential job candidates.
Purpose of Company Recruitment Policy:
The purpose behind the policy is to attract and select the candidate who is outstanding and this requires a sound and systematic recruitment approach.
Principle of Recruitment Policy
Below mention Principles must followed while recruiting employees:
- As per company Policy, it believes in the open competition ways for recruitment.
- The company makes sure that the right and meritorious candidate is hired through the recruitment process and it also ensures that most suitable candidate is identified.
- The company makes sure that the recruitment and selection of candidate happen in a professional way and by following the rules and regulations under employment legislation.
- The company also ensures that all its employees involved in the recruitment and selection process are well trained. The company provides training to all its employees to make them satisfied that they are well trained to carry on recruitment and they comply with the regulations under employment policy.
- The recruitment must be carried out in a manner that enhances the image of the company outside.
- The company also put in best efforts to carry out the process in a transparent and effective manner wherein all candidates are treated equally and fairly so that recruitment experience is a positive one in the company.
- The company believes in inculcating new and innovative practice in its recruitment process and will promote best practice.
- The company also tries its best to make sure that this process is carried out in a very cost-effective manner.
- Any employee in recruitment team who has a close relationship with any of the candidate applying for any position in the company must make sure that it is declared by the employee in the beginning of recruitment process and he/she will not be involved in any decision-making process.
- All the information provided by the candidate must be treated with confidentiality and must not be shared with any third agency.
Recruitment ,Selection Policy and procedure:
Steps to be followed under HR Recruitment Policy
Selection of Candidate:
Selection and interview
Appointment of New Candidate
The last stage of recruitment process is the induction programme. After the initial written offer is made to the new candidate and is accepted by the candidate after signing the offer letter copy, the joining date for the candidate is confirmed. After confirmation of joining date, Hr prepares the induction programme for the new candidate.
Please note the abovementioned policy sample is an example of an employment policy which can be followed by the company while carrying out its recruitment process. Policy and clauses,however, varies from company to company. Also to be noted the sample above is for the hiring of permanent employees. For temporary employee hiring, below mentioned steps can be taken.
Recruitment of Temporary employees:
According to the “employee policy for hiring the contractual employee " the recruitment of temporary candidate is done by following below-mentioned guidelines:
The responsibilities of various people involved in the hiring process as per "Hiring Policy” are defined below.
2. Placement of Job Advertisement.
3. To make sure all pre-employment checks have been done.
4. Issuance of the offer letter to the selected candidate.
5. Monitoring whether recruitment policy is being followed in the filling of the vacant position.
6. Conducting training in recruitment and selection.
Recruitment & Selection Policy, Procedure – Sample Policy No.2
Objective of Recruitment Policy of a Company:
The major objective of a Recruitment Policy (Internal Hiring Policy) is to:The recruitment procedure is just one of the most basic value included Human Resources Procedures. The employment is particularly crucial for managers in the organization. The managers make use of the employment process intensively, as well as contentment with Human Resources is mostly concerning the fulfillment with the recruitment process.
Purpose of Recruitment Policy: The purpose of recruitment policy is to ensure that rightly skilled and qualified candidate are attracted and hired as it is mandatory for the success of an organisation. To do these right and efficient recruitment Policy methods must be chosen. Its purpose is also to have a recruitment policy wherein recruitment and selection (as per recruitment and selection policy) of candidates is based on fundamental principles which are explained later in the employee policy template.
- Ensure clarity on the details needed to fill in a particular job vacancy.
- Clarity on the type of recruitment procedure to be chosen as per recruitment policy and procedure.
- To have resumes of good applicants in pipeline that help in ambition recruitment.
- Vacant positions must be filled in timely with best utilisation of available resource.
- All information must be provided in a concise and clear manner as per the employee policy template.
- To ensure to choose the best candidate.
- Recruiters must be well advised to take correct recruitment decisions.
- Promotion of positive image of employer.
Eligibility:This recruitment and selection policy applies or includes all positions except the CEO and senior management positions.
1. Our organisation has a commitment towards our section of society towards providing higher standard programmes and services.
2. The company also makes sure to attract right kind of talent by advertising for the vacancies to follow the path of ambition recruitment.
3. The company is also committed towards filling of vacancies through internal job posting as and when appropriate following employment policy.
4.The company is committed towards providing an environment that is free from all kinds of aggressive pressure and intimidation. That gives an exemplary employment policy examples and recruitment policy examples.
5.The company believes in unbiased recruitment and selection and no discrimination is made basis the age, gender, status etc. It believes in providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and the selection is done based on merit regarding skills, qualification and capability.
In order to make recognition towards following the policy rightly and implementing it correctly within the company the responsibilities lies on senior management, the HR department and the managers and supervisors.
Responsibility of senior management:
1. To ensure implementation of this employment policy template within the company.
2. To ensure that performance of the company is measured by seeking reports on the real data on a month to month basis.
Responsibility of HR:
1. To train all managers and supervisors on the various aspects of recruitment policy.
2. To guide managers and supervisors regarding their role in recruitment process following the employment policy.
Responsibility of Managers and supervisors:
1. To follow recruitment policy sample completely.
2. Must adhere to correct decision making.
3. To make sure correct job description is prepared for the vacant positions to solve the purpose of recruitment policy.
4. Must have clarity on the staffing level for their department are determined and authorised as per recruitment policy of a company.
Underlying principles to be followed under the Recruitment Policy:
Principles of Recruitment Policy
1. Selection will purely be on merit.
2. The information regarding vacancies will be informed to the candidate via internal or external advertisement as per recruitment policy PDF.
3. Candidates are requested to provide only relevant information as per the job vacancy.
4. All information received from the applicant will be kept confidential.
5. All information provided by candidate in such a manner that correct decision regarding suitability of profile can be taken.
6. Company ensures that recruitment and selection is conducted in a professional, timely and responsive manner following recruitment and selection policy sample.
7. In order to meet with the principles it is ensured that appropriate training and support is given to all employees involved in training and development following principles of recruitment policy.
8. Recruitment and selection must be conducted in completely professional manner so that the image of company is enhanced.
9. The company believes in adopting best practice in its recruitment and selection policy sample.
10. The recruitment and selection must happen in a cost effective manner.
Steps of recruitment and selection process:
1. This is the first stage of recruitment and selection process under recruitment policy of a company.
2. The recruitment and selection process cannot begin until/unless complete analysis for the need of role is done.
3. All new role must have defined level, , grade and position before the recruitment and selection process begins. Details mentioned in employee policy template.
4. All approvals should be in place before the commencement of recruitment and selection procedure as per recruitment policy and procedures.
5. Recruitment should form an important part of staffing strategy for the m area.
6. For any assistance in recruitment and selection HR must be contacted to have clarity on recruitment policy.
1. A clear and concise job description must be created .
2. The job description must clearly reflect all aspects of a job.
3. The skills, experience, qualification, aptitude required for the particular position
should be mentioned in the job description.
Pre Recruitment phase guidelines:
1.Job description with all relevant details must be prepared for all the current vacancies or any vacancy foreseen in nearby future. Data can be obtained as per Hiring Policy.
2. All details for a particular vacancy must be posted. Details includes the duties and responsibilities for a particular position, the level for which hiring is being done. Is it a permanent position or a contractual one, duration of the job, details on shift timings if any, and the job location.
3. Posting the advertisement internally or externally must be done after drafting the job description.
4. Whenever their is vacancy, it is responsibility of the manager to give details on various parameters which includes skill set required, total years of experience and qualification.
5. If no description is available for a given position it is the responsibility of the manager to draft one and get it approved by the human resource department.
6. In case a new position is created it is the responsibility of the human resource department and the manager to draft details for the position in coordination.
7. Before the recruitment process starts it is responsibility of HR to check in if the relevant position details are available or not. Is HR clearly checking recruitment and selection policy sample.
8. All necessary approvals must be taken in advance before the commencement of recruitment phase.
9. In case a vacancy can be filled in internally, it is responsibility of the manager to match the position details with the details of the candidate who can fill in the position. Appropriate approvals should be taken before any such internal movement.
Internal advertising is used when a particular vacancy can be filled with a candidate already working in the company also the manager/supervisor are willing to absorb the talent internally rather looking for external talent. Mostly internal advertisement is done on the intranet or notice board. However vacancy can be discussed in meetings as well.
Process of internal advertising:
a) To fill in the position through internal advertisement it is necessary to take all the approval first. Manager need to take approval from HOD and HR. Once approved the process of recruitment begins.
b) Once Hr is notified on internal filling of vacancy by the relevant department ,
HR is supposed to do the following:
1.Post the details of vacancy which includes position, skills required, level for which hiring is done, experience required.
2. Outline of the position.
How to apply for internal vacancy:
1. The interested candidate can send their CV with cover letter (n regarding why they want to apply for this position) to the supervisor with all relevant details.
2. The CV is sent for acceptance and processing it further.
3. The candidate whose work experience, skills, qualification matched with the profile is called for an interview.
4. Normal recruitment and selection process is carried out in case of internal advertisement.
Advertisement which is done with a source external to organisation is known as external advertisement. It is generally done through internet or by external employment services.
Process of external advertisement
1. External advertisement is used when a particular position can’t be filled in internally.
2. The position is advertised widely.
3. The HR department designs the outline of the external advertisement which carries various details like skills required, experience, qualification etc.
4. Once advertisement is designed, it is sent to concerned manager for approval.
5. Once approved, HR post the advertisement externally.
6. HR Monitors/Manages the response received through external advertisement and monitors the placement of advertisement.
7. Normal recruitment and selection process happens after short listing of desired profile.
How to apply for external advertisement:
1. The interested candidates can send their CV at the email address mentioned in the advertisement.
2. CV once received are checked whether it matches with the required skill set, experience, qualification or not. If it matches candidates are called in for interview.
3. Normal recruitment and selection process follows.
Use of recruitment consultant
1. Recruitment consultants are used by the organisation as one of the source of external advertising.
2. HR is the first contact point to hire a candidate from recruitment consultant.
3. The vacancy details and positions are discussed with HR by hiring manager.
4. These details along with job description are shared with the recruitment consultant by HR.
5. It is responsibility of HR to ensure that the recruitment consultant adhere to company’s recruitment and selection policy.
Process to be followed for recruitment consultant:
1. HR receives the vacant position details from the managers /supervisors.
2. HR designs the relevant job description and shares it with the recruitment consultant with vacancy details.
3. Recruitment consultant receives the application by posting their advertisement and after initial screening sends it to HR.
4. HR sends the shortlisted profile to manager for interview.
Screening of application
1.It is the task of external recruitment consultant to screen the applicant against the given vacant position
2.when recruitment consultant contacted for any vacancy.Resumes are screened against the given vacant position so that decision can be made regarding the relevant profiles.
3.Cv’s of candidate which matches with the given profile are shortlisted for an interview.
Guidelines for an Interview
1. Basic purpose of an interview is to give and get information which helps in making a decision whether a candidate is suitable or not.
2. Every individual have their own interviewing style however there are certain parameters which need to be followed while conducting an interview.
Steps for conducting an interview:
1. Screen the resume well before the interview starts and it will help and make a manager feel more confident and comfortable.
2. Review the resume to check is it meeting the following requirements:
a) Basic qualification needed to carry out the job.
b) Total work experience along with specialisation in given area.
c) Skills which are needed to perform a given job and also to check if the candidate posses some extra skills which can also be required for the given position.
3. Make the environment friendly and comfortable. The candidate must feel the ease in conversation.
4. The interview must not get distracted; the interviewer must keep a control over the interview so that meaningful discussion happens.
5. Try getting the relevant information by putting in questions which compel candidate to answer all that manager need to know.
6. Interview must not be generic discussion session where candidate is sharing only what he/she wants to share instead they must share what interviewer wants to know.
7. Communication during the interview session must be smooth. All the barriers while answering the question must be removed.
8. The interviewer must try getting all relevant questions answered and all related topics must be covered.
9. If any aspect is still not clear the interviewer should ask the question again by rephrasing it or it can also be done by returning to it in the later part of interview session so that clarity is obtained on that particular aspect.
10. Well prepare the stage.
11. Interview must be conducted in a meeting room.
12. There should not be any disruptions due to mobile, laptop etc.
13. It is generally preferred to have a round table discussion with the candidate so that candidate can have comfortable conversation with everyone present in the room.
14. There must be proper introduction of all members in the interview panel and the candidate.
15. The interviewer must try to keep the conversation straight and structured.
16. Body language must be relaxed.
17. Form an agenda.
18. Discuss the duties and responsibilities involved in the job
19. Determine the total time that can take place.
20. Provide candidate with description of duties and responsibilities of the job.
21. Collect information. The structured questions must be put to the candidate so that all relevant information can be obtained.
22. However some flexibility is required in case some questions arise due to some flexibility in the conversation.
23. Try to get both the positive and negative aspects of the candidate and try to match with the requirements.
24. Reserve some time for discussion on general topics.
25. Try to have discussion on additional skills which candidate possess which have yet not been discussed.
1.)-After interview is conducted the next important step includes reference check. It must be ensured that proper reference check has been done for the candidate before offering an offer of employment to him/her.
2.)-Reference checks must be done by HR and it should be done at least by 2 people the candidate has mentioned under reference column of his/her interview form.
3.)-Details of reference must be clearly mentioned in employee application form for future references.
Written offer and documentation
Short listing of Internal Candidate:
1. After the selection phase it can be an internal or external candidate who gets shortlisted for final offer.
2. In case an internal candidate is shortlisted finally, the recruitment manager must inform the HR and head of department.
3. An internal transfer letter need to be prepared for the finally selected internal candidate but before documentation it is must to take HOD and directors approval on the same and it need to be forwarded to Human resource department.
4. Once approval is received by HR, they will prepare a transfer offer letter. A copy of the transfer offer letter need to be signed by the employee and returned to HR.
5. The documentation need to be kept in employee personnel records.
Short listing and documentation of external candidate:
1. In case an external candidate is finally shortlisted the reporting manager must made a verbal offer to him/her.
2. After the verbal offer a written letter of offer will be made to the external candidate.
3. This letter of offer would contain a start date, compensation details, level, designation position and terms and conditions of employment related to the employee.
4. The employee must keep one copy of offer and one duly signed copy with terms and conditions must be returned to HR.
5. The manager is responsible to coordinate with HR to ensure that the necessary documentation, equipments and access privilege are prepared for the new employee.
6. It is the responsibility of HR department to send an induction kit to the new employee.
Information regarding unsuccessful candidate:
It is responsibility of HR to notify the unsuccessful candidates that they have not been shortlisted. In case an external recruitment consultant services has been used. HR to notify the recruitment consultant of unsuccessful candidates.
1.Short listing must be done by at least 2 people to avoid any kind of biased approach.
2. The candidate must meet the requirement needed for the particular profile.
3. A member of HR will normally be there in the selection process.
4. All the details regarding the selection must be shared with candidate who includes any kind of tests etc. Minimum 7 days should be given for that.
5. The candidate whether it’s internal or external must be assessed without any kind of baseness. Only the candidate whose skills, experience, aptitude completely matches with the required criteria should be shortlisted. No suppositions to be made.
6. Managers should consult with the HR department if they require any assistance with selection process.
7. References are being checked on the details as shared by the candidate.
8. Any checks which may form part of selection process should be conducted prior to issuing of offer of employment.
It is the final stage of recruitment process. Once successful candidate has accepted the offer of employment and a start date is agreed, HR is responsible for preparing a comprehensive induction programme for new employee
Revision of the policy
The company reserves the right to revise, modify any or all clauses of this policy depending upon demand of business.
Explanation of the policy
Corporate HR department will be sole authority to interpret the content of this policy.