Best 11 Employee Recognition Ideas that Engage Employees
As per Careerbuilder study, “tangible recognition could make 50% employees to stick to the company “. This puts forward the importance of employee recognition and appreciation in retention of workforce.
What Employee Recognition Means?
Let’s first try to understand what employee recognition means is:
The employee appreciation and recognition is about showing gratitude towards employees for their exemplary work and contribution to the company’s growth. It also entails the values that organization carries through its policies and attitude towards employees.
Why it is important to have employee recognition when there is salary, other perks and benefits are given by company?
Employee recognition helps employees feel secure in their worth to the organisation, which motivates them to keep doing exceptional job. Let's describe why empoyee recognition is important.
1. Human Emotions: Employee being human has emotions and feelings which make him to connect with the project on which he is working. The recognition of employee’ efforts will improve the bond with the team and increase productivity.
2. Like the challenges: Some employees like to perform challenging task and reward at the end of achievement push them to work hard. The challenging tasks and rewards improve person’ learning and skills.
3. Part of the community: Being a part of society, employees represent the community, culture. When employee gets appreciated for his work, then attitude of society towards the community also improves in positive direction.
As per McKinsey research , “the companies having more than 30 per cent women executives were in strong position to outperform those companies where this percentage is in range of 10 to 30.
The employee appreciation” contribution towards the organization through rewards and small-small things brings freshness and belongingness to the work atmosphere. This employee recognition ideas are given below:
1.Sky is the limit – performance based career path not only helps to recognize the employee’ hard work but also helps in career achievement and boosting self-esteem. The leadership training and other skill development courses will boost the confidence level of the employees and makes them ready for bigger role in the organization.
2.Wellbeing of employees– IT majors Infosys, TCS and Accenture India covered vaccination costs for their employees and their family members. This step will help employees to connect with the organization as a large family.
3.Bigger the company higher the facilities – From free meals to laundry, saloon, gym, pool and hospital in the office campus will help employees to get relaxed when they feel stressed.
It’s natural that relaxed body and mind improves productivity. As the organization grows, it needs to better taken care of employees’ needs. Like allowing employees to bring kids and pet animals in office campus, separates office and home boundary walls.
4. Recognition in front of peers and peer to peer recognition– This is the best employee recognition ideas that your employees will like. By giving employee trophy, certificate of excellence, thank you speech will motivate employee to keep continuing good work.
The companies and higher managers can take initiatives to regularly recognize employee in front of peers. This will act as motivating factor increasing employee job satisfaction.
Also, peer-to-peer recognition where colleagues in the same team or department appreciates and praise work of each other. As most part of their work, team members were close circle to employee and praise by them, acts as a confidence booster to an employee.
5. Lunch with the boss – It will help both boss and employee to understand area of interest, hobbies, and opinions about life. This informal discussion helps employee to open up with boss and liked by the importance given to him. Similar results were achieved through Hawthorne studies.
6. Community work – Charity, donations and providing various services to community like food to the homeless and downtrodden, working in community kitchens, organizing health camps.The community service makes us realize the inclusivity of workplace that employees come from different backgrounds, gender, race, religion. And doing community service is about giving back to the society where we come from.
7.Wall of Fame – The achievers of different projects like completed project fastest, bringing more sales and revenue can be recognized through having gallery of achievers. This wall of fame not only helps employees to work hard when they are at their peak but also when their performance is going down. They can visit they achievements and bring back the energy to the work.
8.Boss for a day - To recognize outstanding achievers by giving them special facilities like VIP parking spot , let them lead the meetings and separate cabin. This will help employees to think what goes on through the mind when one seats at higher position.It will help staff to understand the perspective of boss when he acts strict and also makes ready staff for challenges when they move on career ladder.
9. Reward at right time – When an employee completes the task within time and efficiently, then appreciate their work that time only because delay in employee reward and recognition, can decrease the value of rewards.
“If you don’t create a great, rewarding place for people to work, they won’t do great work”
10.Outing time – Having weekend or monthly party, buying movie tickets and organizing tours of employees will help colleagues to gel with each other. Spending time with teams outside the office improves the bond and helps team members to understand why particular colleague behave in particular way. This motivates employees to contribute to the success of the team and ultimately the organization.
11. Celebrate small things of life– Surprising the employee with cake and candles when he enters conference room, sounds cool right! So celebrating important days in employees life and their non-work achievements like volunteering in flood relief will definitely boost the morale of the team.
In your organization, these employee appreciation and recognition ideas can be adopted which will help employees gets motivate to give their best effort to fulfil organizational goals as well as fulfilling their career goals and sense of accomplishment will be there. Leaving with the quote to think about employee recognition.
“Clients do not come first. Employees come first.
If you take care of your employees, they will take care of the clients.”
strong>-Richard Branson, founder of Virgin Group
India, Delhi, New Delhi
An internship certificate is offered to the interns who have successfully finished their internship term with a specific job role or multiple tasks assigned by the organization.