A Quick Guide about Performance standards
Performance standards and expectations, based on an up-to-date position description, should be clearly communicated to employees at the time of appointment to their position and as they change thereafter.
Employees must encourage participating in the process by providing written comments
on the evaluation form regarding their substandard evaluation. Employees should also receive adequate training necessary to effectively perform the duties and responsibilities of their position.
The following information should be providing to each employee:
• Evaluation Ratings
• Developing Performance Standards/Expectations and Setting Goals
• Completing and Submitting an Evaluation
• Substandard Evaluations
Apart from above, the employee should be clear what is expected out of his performance, how well he is doing in his job, what skills / knowledge does he required to achieve the best of his performances, how can he contribute more in achieving the department/ organizational goal.
Likewise, the supervisor should also perform following tasks on regular basis:
a) Provide timely feedback to his team members
b) Communicate the organization and department objective, mission and vision
c) Communicate their expectations in context of performance, behavior and overall objectives
d) Coach the staff on how to achieve job requirements and tasks.
How to do performance evaluation
Establish the right atmosphere: The environment should be appropriate for the performance review. It is preferable to choose either a close room or separate work area because Choose the right time. Look at your work schedule as well as the employee’s. Mid-morning is often considered an ideal time. Select a time other than lunch.
Be in the right frame of mind. Both of you need to be prepared mentally for the session. Set the agenda. Have the self-appraisal and appraisals from others in place. Review position description with employee in advance of evaluation with particular emphasis on the performance evaluation factors included in the description. Evaluate each performance factor independently of all other factors.
The discussion should be friendly but formal. Emphasize good performance and be specific about any unsatisfactory performance.If unsatisfactory performance noted, specify the expected corrective actions and set (duration______) to follow up.Brief your supervisor on the strong and weak performance evaluations of those employees you supervise.
Performance feedback is a type of progress reporting. It gives the supervisor the chance to clarify expectations. Performance feedback needs to be constructive in order for it to be productive.
It tries to reinforce the positive and change the negative. Feedback should be:
- Should be specific.
- Describing what action or behavior is desired.
- Should be timely and / or immediate.
- Explaining the effects of the observed and desired acts or behavior.
- Focus on behavior or performance - not the person.
- Avoid attacking the individual and making judgments
- Explain the results or effect of the action or behavior.
- Take time to point out positive behaviors that can be repeated and work with the employee to come up with ways to repeat those behaviors.
- Follow up with more feedback and action plans as needed. Administration of Performance Appraisal: An employee's signature on the evaluation form does not necessarily imply agreement with the evaluation, only that the employee has participated in the evaluation.
- Written memoranda documenting performance throughout the year should be attached to the evaluation report.
- Performance appraisals should be signed by the Head of the department.
- The signed report and the employee's comments and other documents must be filed in the employee's personnel folder and stored in a secure place not readily accessible by employees.
- The personnel file should be made available to the employee upon request but under controlled circumstances to prevent loss of critical documentation.
Meaning of whistleblowing and whistleblower When a former or existing employee voice their concern against any wrongd... Read More
How the job analysis can best benefit to the company Job Analysis helps to have a better employee and job fitment for... Read More
Balance scorecard is necessary for achieving Goals of performance management Balance scorecard is very important and ... Read More
Different Employee engagement process implemented in the companies Employee engagement process includes the job distr... Read More
Benefits of Performance Management System An effective and good performance management system always works towards ... Read More
Why Employee Referral is Preferred in the Organisation? Employee referral programme is one ... Read More
How Balance Scorecard is beneficial for the strategic improvement of the Company Balance Scorecard this name has n... Read More